Spooky season is quickly approaching! Halloween is always an incredibly fun holiday for the whole family, whether you enjoy carving jack-o-lanterns, trick or treating, or having a fun costume, there is something for everyone to get excited about. Here are steps to follow to ensure you enjoy Halloween safely this year:
- If you are having a gathering on Halloween, refer to these guidelines from the CDC to ensure the gathering follows safety protocol
- Be strategic in your front porch set up to keep trick or treating contactless. Place wrapped candy on a table or chair placed in your lawn or driveway, so no one is forming a crowd around your front door or touching shared surfaces, like the doorbell
- Make signs to put in your yard to remind trick or treaters to practice socially distancing and stay 6 feet apart. You can get as creative and spooky as you want with these signs - make it a fun activity!
- Check to ensure that all costumes, hats, and accessories are fire-resistant and non-toxic
- Equip kids with reflective tape, flashlights, glow sticks, etc. to ensure they are visible when it gets dark
- Make sure there is a designated responsible adult to accompany young children
- For older children, create a safe route and schedule to establish open communication
- Remind children to never enter a stranger's home or car, for any reason
- Set a rule to be patient and not eat any candy until they return home
- Remind children to be aware of their surroundings, and always cross streets safely
Have a safe and happy Halloween!