Everyone knows that stretching feels good for your body and mind, but it is often overlooked for just how good it can be. Stretching helps to keep the muscles flexible, strong, and healthy. The great thing about stretching is that it can be done anywhere, anytime. If you already have a stretching routine, or you want to create a new one, here are all of the wonderful benefits associated with a regular stretching routine.
Mental & Emotional Benefits
- Increases joy and happiness by releasing endorphins
- Improves quality of sleep
- Fights midday fatigue and tiredness
- Reduces stress
- Increases feelings of calm and peace
- Encourages mindfulness and attention
- Improves awareness of your breath
- Increases gratitude
- Encourages appreciation of your body
- Improves overall quality of life
- Reduces muscle tightness
- Increases range of motion in your joints
- Enhances muscle coordination
- Increases blood circulation
- Improves energy levels
- Lowers cholesterol
- Decreases risk of injury
- Improves posture and alignment
- Helps lower back pain
Healthline has a great list of stretching techniques to incorporate into your routine.
There are so many benefits to stretching and it’s so easy to incorporate into your daily life, even if you already have a full schedule. Even just 5 to 10 minutes per day can make a huge difference in your life, as long as you are intentional about setting the time aside. To keep a consistent routine, try stretching at the same time every day, maybe first thing in the morning, after your lunch break, or before you turn in for the night. Just like other things related to our health and well-being, consistency is key.
For more tips to maintain mental and physical well-being, sign up for our newsletter below!